General terms applicable to use of our website, for both registered and non–registered users
Accessing our site
- Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service we provide on our site without notice (see below). We will not be liable if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
- Certain sections of our site require you to register. If you register, the terms at Part II will apply in addition to the Part I terms.
Intellectual property rights
- We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
- You are granted a limited licence to print off one copy, and may download extracts, or any page(s) from our site for your personal and non–commercial reference and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to material posted on our site. This licence is non–transferable, non–sublicensable, non–exclusive and revocable. All other rights not granted are expressly reserved to us.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of material on our site must always be acknowledged.
Reliance on information posted
- Materials posted on our site are not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by any visitor to our site, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
Our site changes regularly
- We aim to update our site regularly, and may change the content at any time. If the need arises, we may suspend access to our site, or close it indefinitely. Any of the material on our site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
- The material displayed on our site is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy. By including lawyers in our online database we are not endorsing or recommending them. To the extent permitted by law, we, other members of our group of companies and third parties connected to us hereby expressly exclude all conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity, and any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with our site or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our site, and any materials posted on it, including, without limitation any liability for loss of income or revenue; loss of business; loss of profits or contracts; loss of anticipated savings; loss of data; loss of goodwill; and for any other loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable, provided that this condition shall not prevent claims for loss of or damage to your tangible property or any other claims for direct financial loss that are not excluded by any of the categories set out above. To the extent the foregoing limitation of liability is prohibited or unenforceable, our maximum liability to you in respect of your use or attempted use of our site shall not exceed £50.
- This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Viruses, hacking and other offences
- You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, Trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site or attack our site via a denial–of–service attack or a distributed denial–of–service attack.
- We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial–of–service attach, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
Jurisdiction and applicable law
- The English courts will have non–exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from, or related to, a visit to our site although we retain the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country.
terms for subscribers
These terms apply in addition to the terms in Part I
- The website acts as a forum to allow lawyers registered with the website (“members”) to provide information regarding their areas of practice to users of the website (“users”). Since we are only providing information concerning members and are not actually recommending members and are not facilitating or broking any transaction or dealing between a member and a user, it is up to the member and the user to check the accuracy of the information provided, the identity of the other party, the ability of the other party to pay or provide the applicable services and all other relevant matters. However, we will suspend any listings or entries where we have been informed of, or have otherwise become aware of, any reasonable grounds to suspend those listings or entries.
- Every member who registers in the directory is entitled to customise one dedicated web page on the website (subject to our content guidelines) with his or her profile information.
- While we will use reasonable commercial endeavours to check the content supplied to us, we have no duty to monitor content posted on the website by members or users and we are not responsible for such content. All content submitted to our services must comply with our content standards and we reserve the right to decline to permit the posting on the website of any content that fails to meet our content standards, and we reserve the right to remove any content if we become aware that our content standards have not been met. To comply with our standards, content must not be offensive, racist, obscene, unlawful, in breach of advertising legislation, codes of conduct or rights of attribution and must not infringe any proprietary rights, rights or privacy and publicity, moral rights or be defamatory.
- We can only accept digital photographs for inclusion in our database
- It is each member’s responsibility to obtain reproduction permission for all photographic and other material used in his listings and entries. In addition members are allowed to supply links to video material on other websites, provided such video material complies with our content standards and such link is authorised. We reserve the right to disable or remove the link if we consider the material does not meet our content standards.
- We reserve the right to determine the final design layout of the website, content, listings, advertisements, entries and reviews and to edit content and materials accordingly. We also reserve the right to edit, copy or amend information or material entered onto the online database by a member.
- You may link your designated page on the website to your firm’s own website, provided that the link complies with our content standards and is otherwise done in a way which is fair and legal. You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists. You may not establish a link from any other website.
- Our website must not be framed on your website. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- Members shall not represent or indicate that we in any way endorse your services, content or listings and each member acknowledges and accepts that we do not give any endorsement or approval by accepting any listing or entry.