Practice DescriptionExtensive experience advising business clients on their most significant legal affairs, including banking and securities law, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, employment law, and litigation. Previously served as managing partner of a prominent Iraqi law firm and represented a diverse group of high-profile, multinational clients. During career, have advised on corporate issues and U.S. capital markets. Worked for a leading global financial management company advising the equity capital markets group. Managed and oversaw European and Middle Eastern equity offerings, including managing client relationships and liaising with local counsel and investment bankers.
Industry sector expertiseSignificant experience in the energy, oil and gas, financial services, media, and insurance sectors.
Overseas expertiseTruly global knowledge of business law. Has spearheaded transactions throughout the world and served as counsel to law firms in Iraq, Jordan, the UK, Turkey and the United States. Described by The Lawyer magazine as “Iraq’s most high-profile business lawyer”. Most recently founded and served as managing partner of a prominent Iraqi law firm which was formed following the removal of Saddam Hussein’s regime. Earlier in career, oversaw all aspects of European and Middle Eastern equity offerings for a global financial management company.
- Advised and drafted, including negotiations with the Qatar Central Bank, the dual Arabic/English-language prospectus for The First Investor GCC Equity – a shari'ah-compliant equity fund which was awarded "Best Investment Fund" at the "Bankers Middle East" Product Awards 2013
- Advised chairman of Qatar National Food Security Programme on diverse range of legal matters including drafting RFPs, negotiating proposed joint ventures and employment contracts.
- Advised a hotel owner on management agreements related to establishing an international brand hotel in Iraq.
- Lead partner to fastest growing Qatari Bank. Advised and negotiated a wide range of matters from standstill agreements, assignment of rights, bankruptcy and testamentary issues, and master services agreements.
- Advised an international supplier of consultancy, engineering and project management services to the oil and gas services, utility and environmental sectors.
- Led team that negotiated, drafted and advised on construction of new $150 million office tower, including conditions of the contract, performance bond, enabling works contract, construction supervision and consultant contracts.
- Advised on all matters relating to a multinational’s operations in Iraq ranging from its establishment to labor and real estate advice.
- Advising luxury international brand on issues related to agency and distribution agreements.
- Advised a multinational energy company in successfully bidding for the rights to develop an oil field in southern Iraq and execution of a technical services contract with the South Oil Company. This representation included drafting the bid documents, and advising on matters governed by the Iraqi laws that currently govern the oil sector.
- Assisted one of the largest UAE banks on all their Qatar-related work, from security documentation, labor and employment matters, to leading negotiations with Qatar Central Bank and Qatar Financial Markets Authority.
- Advised a major oil company on market opportunities in Iraq and the legal and regulatory issues impacting their potential investment.
- Structured and drafted stock option plan for one of the largest Qatar-based conglomerates.
- Advised US and UAE companies on negotiating the terms of residential and commercial construction projects in Iraq with both the central government of Iraq and provincial governments.
- Lead partner to one of the largest Qatari based conglomerates on diverse matters from corporate governance and shareholder resolutions, to negotiating and drafting joint venture agreements with a number of different multinationals.
- Advised a number of power and energy companies in Iraq on how and where to establish their operations, as well as labor, real estate and tax advice.
- Advised a UAE engineering conglomerate’s Qatar entity in negotiating and drafting pre-tender consortium and joint venture agreements.
- Advised a UAE-based family group on their investments in Iraq.
- Assisted leading publicly-listed US corporation on its activities in the Middle East, including distribution and agency agreements in Qatar and UAE.
- Assisted a major U.S. accounting and professional services firm on registering to do business in Iraq, liability and insurance issues and securing contracts in Iraq.
- Assisted in structure and creation of the Doha Film Institute and related subsidiaries.
- Helped establish an international news agency in Iraq.
- Advised several large institutional investors on developments in the power and energy sectors throughout Iraq, including advising on their understanding of the market and how political, legal and regulatory developments impact their investment.
- Advised a UK-based company that provides engineering, production support, maintenance management and equipment maintenance services to the oil and gas, and power generation industries.
- Advised a US-based company that specializes in auditing, management consulting, corporate finance, risk management and information technology.
- Work for private clients, including royal families and/or their family offices.
- Qatar National Food Security Programme
- Doha Film Institute
next: career & education »