Practice DescriptionPartner in McDermott Will & Emery’s Boston office and international head of firm's health industry advisory practice group. Specializes in e-health, deployment of electronic health record systems, health-related matters impacted by the Internet and HIPAA, as well as mergers, acquisitions, affiliations and joint ventures in the hospital and physician areas. Particular experience working with regional electronic health record collaborations as well as pharmaceutical, biotech, device companies, healthcare providers and insurers concerning uses of health information for clinical and database research, product/disease registries and marketing matters. Extensive transactional experience advising academic medical centers and hospitals, large, multi-specialty physician practice groups both within and outside the tax-exempt sectors, as well as venture capital/private equity firms and their health-related portfolio companies.
Industry sector expertiseFocused on healthcare providers, academic medical centers, pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies, and health insurance industries.
- Represented Central Connecticut Health Alliance, the parent company of the Hospital of Central Connecticut, in connection with CCHA’s and HOCC’s affiliation with Hartford Healthcare, the parent entity of one of Connecticut’s largest healthcare systems, which includes Hartford Hospital. The transaction involved negotiating a complex strategic plan for the affiliation, securing necessary regulatory approvals from the State of Connecticut and advising on a detailed review by the Federal Trade Commission, including a heavily-negotiated “second request.”
- Recently assisted the Physicians' Organization at Children's Hospital in the restructuring of its bylaws and in managing its organizational development for the benefit of 17 physician foundation and Children's Hospital affiliates
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Cardinal Health
- Decision Resources
- Harvard University
- Hospital of Central Connecticut
- Massachusetts eHealth Collaborative
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Physicians’ Organization at Children’s Hospital
next: career & education »