Practice DescriptionRich Brand focuses on sports law, real estate and corporate transactions, e-commerce, and partnership and corporate law. Rich’s sports practice includes representing prospective purchasers and sellers of professional sports franchises, and sports and entertainment facilities; and representing professional sports franchises, owners of sports and entertainment facilities, sponsors and service content providers in connection with naming rights transactions, media rights agreements, sponsorship agreements, advertising agreements, promotional agreements, food and beverage agreements, suite and club seat licensing, and financing for professional sports teams and owners of sports and entertainment facilities. He also advises on players, coaches, and executive contracts, license agreements, salary cap and collective bargaining interpretation, and related matters for professional sports teams. Rich represents local and national owners, developers, and users in all aspects of real estate transactions including hotel, office, and industrial acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, development, construction, financing, and management of commercial properties. . His corporate work includes electronic commerce and Internet-related transactions, joint ventures and related equity financings, sales of existing businesses, and representation of lenders and borrowers in complex debt and equity transactions, consensual real estate workouts, restructurings, and reorganizations.
Industry sector expertiseRich advises companies primarily in the sports, real estate, and hospitality and leisure industries.
- Representing PPL Services Corporation in connection with the naming rights agreement for the new 8,500-seat hockey arena in downtown Allentown, PA which will serve as the home venue for the American Hockey League’s Lehigh Valley Phantoms, the Philadelphia Flyers' top minor league affiliate.
- Representing Brooklyn Events Center, LLC, the operator of the newly opened sports and entertainment arena in Brooklyn and home of the Brooklyn Nets, known as the Barclays Center, in connection with the transaction which relocated the New York Islanders to the Barclays Center;
- Representing the Los Angeles Lakers in connection with its 20-year agreement with Time Warner Cable for rights to distribute all locally available pre-season, regular season, and post-season games on two regional sports networks, including the nation’s first Spanish-language regional sports network.
- Representing Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment in its multi-year agreement with AEG Facilities to provide operational support at Barclays Center.
- Representing Brooklyn Arena, LLC, and the New Jersey Nets in connection with the Barclays Center naming rights transaction, the largest arena naming rights and team sponsorship transaction in the history of sports and entertainment.
- Representing Kevin Payne in connection with his move from DC United to President and General Manager of the Toronto FC professional soccer team, a member of Major League Soccer.
- Representing Washington Sports & Entertainment Limited Partnership in all aspects of the acquisition, development, and financing of the Verizon Center (formerly known as the MCI Center), the downtown Washington, DC, arena that serves as the home of the Washington Wizards, the Washington Mystics, the Washington Capitals, and the Georgetown University Hoyas.
- Representing The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc., a full-service real estate acquisition, development, and management company and its affiliates in the restructuring of over $300 million in loans from a major institutional lender.
- Advising The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc., in the recapitalization of a ten-hotel portfolio, the admission of a major joint venture/equity partner, and restructuring and refinancing of more than $200 million in loans.
- Negotiating the refinancing of the premiere office building in Wilmington, DE, located at 500 Delaware Avenue with major lenders, including a senior lender and a mezzanine lender on behalf of The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc.
- Representing Fannie Mae for numerous leases and acquisitions of varying sizes throughout the US for property used by Fannie Mae for its operations.
- Representing the world’s leading Internet service provider in the negotiation of e-commerce transactions in the areas of interactive marketing and advertising, programming and content, e-commerce technology, and online and offline brand promotion.
- Representing Cafritz Interests and its affiliates for more than 20 years in real estate and transactional matters, recently involving a bid and related bankruptcy proceedings for the purchase of a hotel in Rockville, MD, in conjunction with Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- A partial list of clients includes:
- NFL: Miami Dolphins, New York Jets
- NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, Washington Wizards, Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Charlotte Bobcats
- WNBA: Washington Mystics
- NHL: Washington Capitals, Los Angeles Kings
- MLS: DC United, Los Angeles Galaxy
- The Buccini/Pollin Group, Cafritz Interests
- Fannie Mae
- California Interscholastic Federation
next: career & education »